College of Arts and Sciences
BA in English—Secondary Education
If you are interested in teaching English at the secondary level, UHart offers a Bachelor of Arts in English with a Certification in Secondary Education. Take classes in the English and Modern Languages Department in the College of Arts and Sciences, and in the Department of Education in the College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions.
The program prepares you for initial certification and the English endorsement for grades 7–12. You take a full-semester of integrated instruction and experience in an urban or suburban public school setting under the supervision and guidance of clinical professors and a trained cooperating teacher.
About the Major
The curriculum features a combination of English courses and education courses in a structured program that includes practice teaching.
国产偷拍视频In your English classes, work with award-winning published authors and poets who share your passion for teaching. In your education classes, acquire the qualities and expertise that make a great teacher such as:
- Critical reading skills
- Research techniques
- Organizational skills
The education curriculum gives you a theoretical base according to the state requirements, and a practical application of carefully considered educational principles. In addition, you receive a solid grounding in the essentials of the subject matter that you will go on to teach.
You must complete 36 credits in English courses, and 63 credits of professional education requirements. These include two required English courses, as well as 14 education courses. In addition, you take courses in literature, grammar or history of the language, cultural diversity and psychology and more. To see a complete listing of classes, visit the
Students must complete two upper level literature, one poetry, one cultural diversity, one adolescent literature, and a senior capstone course. Examples include:
Rebellion to Restoration: 17th-Century British Literature
Satire and Sentiment, 1660-1800
African American Women Writers
Literature for the Adolescent Reader
国产偷拍视频For more information, and to see a complete list of degree requirements, visit the
In addition to general education courses, you must complete 63 credits to meet requirements for secondary education. Examples include:
- Introduction to Education: Schooling and Human Services
- Learning and Development: Understanding Yourself and Others
- Effective Teaching I: The Student in the Secondary Classroom
- The United States to the Civil War Era
There is also a secondary English education major with an urban emphasis to prepare you for teaching positions in urban school settings. You select certain courses from a specific list of options to complete general education requirement and English coursework.
国产偷拍视频For more information, and to see a complete list of secondary education courses, visit the
Bachelor of Arts in English students will:
- Manifest an ability to read and understand a wide variety of literary texts.
- Express themselves, whether in their interpretations of literature or in their own creative writing, with clarity, subtlety, and originality.
- Use the vocabulary of literary criticism effectively and confidently.
- Display a broad knowledge of the relationships of literature to historic and/or cultural contexts.
Students will demonstrate:
- A command of content knowledge, pedagogical skills, and professional behaviors needed to prepare students to meet the rigorous challenges of the 21st century.
- Qualities of a culturally responsive educator.
- An understanding of how the brain learns and its impact on teaching and learning.
Create Climate for Learning
- Create a classroom environment that reflects a culture and climate for learning.
- Reflect daily on their practice and its implication on student learning.
- Facilitate multiple evidence-based instructional strategies that result in a high level of engagement for all students.
- Develop meaningful and evidence-based assessments to measure student achievement.
- Use multiple data sources to inform instruction.
- Create standards-based lesson and unit plans that reflect the domains of the CCCT and standards.
English Secondary Education '17,
Allison says the English Secondary Education program at UHart prepared her tremendously for her position as writing teacher for grades 6-8 at St. James School in Stratford, Connecticut, and that the different techniques and strategies that she learned at UHart is what she still falls back on to this day.
Being in a classroom from day one is very beneficial to getting you used to what a real classroom is like. It’s always really helpful to see different teaching styles. This way I was able to learn different techniques and create a style that is all my own.
Kim Rodriquez-Aldoy ‘19, English with Certification in Secondary Education
国产偷拍视频The reason the secondary education program here works is because it is structured around real-world experiences that teachers are currently having in the classroom. We are taught not only content, but how to discover ourselves as role models, leaders, and teachers. I enter the classroom with great desire to show students how to find their place in the world because those are the tools I have been given.